Hampshire County Council have themed “Walktober” around the NHS’s “Five Steps to Wellbeing”. Evidence suggests that these are five steps we can all take to improve our mental wellbeing:
- Connect– Have a fun day out, walking with family and friends, playing games together on your walk and collecting up treasures from nature to take home with you
- Be active– Make activity part of your everyday – walk, cycle, scoot or Park and Stride to school or work, go for a lunchtime stroll, play ball in the park or walk a friend’s dog with them
- Keep learning– Go for a walk somewhere you haven’t been before, perhaps around a park, garden or historical site
- Be mindful– Think about your surroundings during your walk and be at one with nature
- Give to others– Take a friend for a walk, volunteer at a local garden or do a sponsored walk for charity.
Look out for your challenge cards, which will be sent home soon! Let's get ready for walking to wellbeing.